The focus of 5G-PPP H2020 remarkable research so far has been largely on the required advances in network architectures, technologies and infrastructures. Less attention has been put on the applications and services that will make use of and exploit advanced 5G network capabilities.
5G-MEDIA aims at innovating media-related applications by investigating how these applications and the underlying 5G network should be coupled and interwork to the benefit of both.
In this respect, 5G-MEDIA addresses the objectives of:
- capitalizing and properly extending the valuable outcomes of the running 5G PPP projects to offer an agile programming, verification and orchestration platform for services
- developing network functions and applications to be demonstrated in large-scale deployments, based on 3 well-defined use cases (in the areas of immersive media and Virtual Reality, smart production and user-generated content, and Ultra High Definition over Content Delivery Networks) of diverse requirements and particular interest for the consortium partners.
Based on the adoption of the open innovation approach, 5G-MEDIA platform will be offered to third parties to develop, combine, verify, deploy and validate media applications by utilizing the SDK capabilities and Service Platform offerings.
Finally, 5G-MEDIA plans to create an ambitious business impact with the introduction of Streaming as a Service concept, built on top of a well-defined, consortium-wide exploitation plan and supported by the complementarity of expertise of its consortium, representing key industrial sectors in the network and media domains:
- telecom operators (OTE, TelefonicaID )
- cloud providers (SingularLogic)
- PaaS/SaaS vendors (IBM)
- service providers (Engineering)
- application developers (Netas)
- broadcasters (Corporación de Radio y Televisión Española )
- SMEs (InterInnov S.A.S., Institut für Rundfunktechnik, BitTubes GmbH)
- research centers (University College London, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, CERTH).
Engineering is the 5G-MEDIA project coordinator and leads several activities that range from Packaging and Integration, Business Models analysis and definition of the 5G-MEDIA platform itself.