Cyber threats are the most significant and growing risk for public administrations. However, technological, organisational and structural issues hamper the ability, especially for local PAs (LPAs) to improve their cyber security level. Budget constraints and evolving legal, ethical, societal and privacy regulations render the situation even more complex.
COMPACT’s goal is to empower local LPAs to become the main actors of their cyber-resilience improvement process. Specific project's objectives are to:
- increase awareness, skills and protection
- foster information exchange between European LPAs
- link LPAs to major EU initiatives, including the newly created cyber-security private-public partnership.
COMPACT innovates both at technological level and at process level – an important dimension in engaging LPA employees in the improvement of cyber-resilience. At technological level, COMPACT innovates in real time security monitoring, security awareness training, information sharing, cyber-security gamification, risk assessment, and threat intelligence. At process level, COMPACT adapts the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle for LPAs to do iterative removal of security bottlenecks and achieve compliance to EN ISO/IEC 27001 and BS ISO/IEC 27005.
COMPACT delivers an integrated platform that supports this process through different types of tools/services: risk assessment, game-based education, monitoring and knowledge sharing services. All these services are characterized by a high degree of usability by non IT experts and automation.
COMPACT validates its results through 5 challenging use cases provided by 5 users in 4 European countries. 90% of COMPACT solutions will achieve a high Technology Readiness Level (TRL7) while the residual parts a TRL6.
Engineering coordinates the project and will focus on defining and delivering the overall platform including open interfaces. It will also provide the project with:
- the risk tool that emerged from the experience of the CYSPA Project
- the OPENNESS collaborative platform, one of the key assets of the Engineering R&D Lab
- OPENNESS.edu, the training platform that has been developed in the context of the VINCENTE project.